Santa Clara, March 22, 2016— In the recently published “Active Pen Technologies, Supply Chain and Market Forecast Report (Second Edition),” Touch Display Research Inc., an independent market research and consulting firm, analyzes more than twenty digital pen technologies, which include thirteen active pen technologies and eight passive pen technologies. Touch Display Research forecasts active pen writing module (includes pen sensor, pen and controller IC) revenue will reach $6.1 billion in 2021, from $2.9 billion in 2016.
Figure 1. Active pen module market forecast
Source: Touch Display Research, 2016
Touch Display Research defines active pen as a pen with an electronic circuit. Some active pens have an integrated battery in it, and others don’t. A passive pen has neither an electronic circuit nor a battery.
Figure 2: Active pen and passive pen summary and comparison (Full table is in the excel database)
Source: Touch Display Research, Active pen technologies supply chain and market forecast 2016 report.
“The active pen industry landscape has changed dramatically in recent 2 years: The number of companies actively working on active pen technology has increased from 60 companies in 2014 to over 100 companies in 2016,” said Dr. Jennifer Colegrove, CEO and Principal Analyst at Touch Display Research. “Digital pen input is very useful in education, certain language input, medical, finance, industry applications, and content creation. Active pen technology is superior to passive in terms of accuracy, pressure sensing, and input of fine line. We forecast that active pen usage will have rapid growth in the next several years.”
- Apple just announced to extend the Apple Pencil to more iPad from March 31, 2016.
- Microsoft acquired N-trig’s pen technology in 2015.
- Many active pen companies have raised capital through Kickstarter. Over 10,000 people have backed those pen projects.
- Colegrove, author of this report, has conducted many first-hand interviews of active pen suppliers and OEMs that have adopted active pens in recent 9 years.
- All the devices with active pen are compared side-by-side with pen suppliers in a single chart in the excel database.
- CES 2016 Active pen exhibitions are covered in this report.
- The challenges of active pen technology and business strategy recommendations are provided.
- Over 100 companies are profiled and supply chain analysis with many companies is provided.
- A prediction of 2016 winner is in chapter 4. The strengths and weaknesses of key players are analyzed.
- The attitude of twelve leading brands toward active pen is analyzed.
- This report provides a Bill of Material (BOM) analysis of active pen module for “pen only” and “pen and finger” touch.
- Market data in the report includes 2013 to 2015 history shipments and forecasts from 2016 to 2021.
- The market forecast includes Unit, active pen module ASP and Revenue, with a detail breakdown by eight application devices: mobile phone and phablet, tablet and hybrid tablet PC, notebook PC, signature pad (retail, finance, service, etc), eReader writer, graphic pen board (without display), public signage/interactive board, and other applications.
- Regional analysis is also provided in this report.
The “Active Pen Technologies and Market Forecast 2016 Report” is available immediately and includes a PowerPoint file of over 270 pages and an Excel database.
Reasons to purchase:
- Find your potential clients or partners from the list of over 100 companies
- Understand active pen technologies and choose the right active pen supplier for your applications
- Know the active pen challenges, market status, and future
- Know your competitors
- Invest in the right direction
- Empower your strategic planning
- Touch Display Research experts have been writing touch and pen industry analysis reports for over nine years. You can access this expertise by purchasing and receiving the report today.
A license for less than five users is $4900 for this report. The license for five or more users is $5900.
Free blogs, videos
- Quantum dot display component and lighting market to reach $10.8 billion by 2026
- The funniest moment at Quantum Dots Forum 2016
- Touch Display Research to speak and exhibit at LOPEC 2016
- FLEX 2016 review
- eDC 2016 review
- How to find your dream job
- New report: ITO-replacement transparent conductor market to reach $13 billion by 2023 but not all companies are growing
- Active pen 2016 report is published
- New Report: Touchless Human-Machine-Interaction (HMI) Sensor Market Gaining Momentum
- Our Mission at Touch Display Research
About Touch Display Research Inc.
Touch Display Research, Inc. (www.TouchDisplayResearch.com) is an independent technology market research and consulting firm specializing in touch screen and emerging display technologies such as OLED displays, OLED lighting, flexible displays, e-paper displays, ITO-replacement, Active pen, 3D displays, near-eye displays, pocket projectors, quantum dots, gesture controls, voice controls, and eye controls. Touch Display Research provides standard reports, consulting projects, and due diligence for touch suppliers, display manufacturers, consumer electronics ODMs/OEMs, material suppliers, investor companies, venture capitalists, and companies who are merging or acquiring companies in the touch screen, display, and materials industry. We are member of FlexTech Alliance and SID.