November 14, 2018, by Jennifer Colegrove Ph.D. Principal Analyst, Touch Display Research Inc.
Merck’s smart windows business started from Peer+. Peer+ was a startup company founded in 2008 in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, to make liquid crystal windows. In 2011, Peer+ and Merck worked together to develop the liquid crystal that could stand the heat and cold of a window application. In 2012, Merck acquired 70% of the shares of Peer+. And in June 2014, Merck acquired the remaining 30% share.
On October 23, 2018, Merck unveiled their new product brand “eyrise™” and announced the commercial availability of eyrise™ s350 in the EU and North America. Thanks to its unique features, eyrise™s350 provides a light wellness experience, as well as exceptional design freedom.
Figure 1: Merck Eyrise smart windows
The launch of eyrise™ s350 marks the 350th anniversary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany which has pioneered the liquid crystal business for the past 50 years. eyrise™ smart windows will be used on the first full-façade installation for FC Group’s new headquarter building in Karlsruhe, Germany. The building is planned to open in 2019.
We had an interview with Dr. Johannes Canisius, head of the Liquid Crystal Windows business at Merck, and Dr. Celine Glipa, global director of marketing & sales of the Merck Window Technologies.
We asked about the licrivision brand and the eyrise brand smart windows, their capacity, supply chain, and future plan. The full article can be found in the Touch and Emerging Display monthly report, November 2018 report.
In the Smart Windows 2018-2028 report, we analyzed 22 types smart windows technologies and provided market forecast to 2028.
Figure 2. Smart Windows 2018 to 2028 report
Dr. Jennifer Colegrove and team
What our clients say
“We like your monthly report. It’s like you are traveling for us to over 10 international conferences each year, and writing travel reports too. Since we are very busy every day with meetings and lab works, we can’t attend many conferences. Your monthly reports keep us updated with all the new trends.”– a client of the Touch and Emerging Display monthly report.
“I read your monthly report from cover to cover. It’s very informative and helpful.”–a client of the Touch and Emerging Display monthly report.
“Great report. It’s very thorough.”–a client of our ITO-replacement report
- 9 strategies to benefit from the automotive touch display ADAS supply chain change
- How to find your dream job
- SID Vehicle Display and Interface 2018 conference review
- Apple Watch LTPO OLED analysis (member exclusive online article)
- 8K display market forecast (member exclusive online article)
- Online market analysis articles for member this week
- Micro LED and mini LED display cost calculations
- Active pen & digital writing market forecast
- Flexible display, quantum dot, smart windows and ITO replacement
- 22 types of smart windows technologies
- Flexible display & flexible touch 2018 report
About Touch Display Research Inc.
Touch Display Research, Inc. (https://TouchDisplayResearch.com) is a technology market research and consulting firm specializing in touch screen and emerging display technologies such as OLED displays, quantum dots, flexible displays, e-paper displays, ITO-replacement, Active pen, near-eye displays, smart windows, gesture controls, voice controls, and eye controls. Touch Display Research helps technology companies grow and connecting their technologies to the marketplace. We have been writing about OLED industry for over 10 years. We were the first company to publish Quantum Dot market reports. We were the first company to publish Active Pen market report, and ITO-replacement market report. We have always been there to analyze new and emerging technologies. Touch Display Research provides reports, consulting, and due diligence to touch suppliers, display manufacturers, consumer electronics ODMs/OEMs, material suppliers, investors and venture capitalists. We are member of Flextech Alliance, SEMI and SID.
Touch Display Research Membership subscription
Touch Display Research offers membership packages for corporations and businesses who would prefer to purchase several of our services at the same time. We offer 3 levels of membership: Gold, Silver and Bronze. Please see the website membership page for more details.