February 20, 2016
At ISE (Integrated Systems Europe) 2016, Cima Nanotech booth showcased large size touch display with Anoto’s active pen. The touch sensor is using ITO-replacement–Cima’s SANTE transparent conductor technology. The Anoto’s active pen is based on camera with micro dot technology.
Figure 1. Cima Nanotech with Anoto active pen at ISE 2016
Photo source: Display Daily, Feb 2016
The active pen industry landscape has changed dramatically in recent 2 years: The number of companies actively working on active pen technology has increased from 60 companies in 2014 to over 100 companies in 2016.
Touch Display Research defines active pen as a pen with an electronic circuit. Some active pens have an integrated battery in it, and others don’t. A passive pen has neither an electronic circuit nor a battery. In the recently published “Active Pen Technologies, Supply Chain and Market Forecast 2016 Report”, Second Edition, Touch Display Research Inc., analyzed more than twenty digital pen technologies, which include thirteen active pen technologies and eight passive pen technologies.
Figure 2: Active pen and passive pen summary and comparison (Full table is in the excel database)
Source: Touch Display Research, Active pen technologies supply chain and market forecast 2016 report.
Digital pen input is very useful in education, certain language input, medical, finance, industry applications, and content creation. Active pen technology is superior to passive in terms of accuracy, pressure sensing, and input of fine line. We forecast that active pen usage will have rapid growth in the next several years.
More analysis of active pen and active pen market forecast can be found in the “Active Pen Technologies, Supply Chain and Market Forecast 2016 Report”. More analysis of ITO-replacement transparent conductor for large size touch display can be found in the “ITO-replacement 2016 report”.
Thanks for reading,
Jennifer and team
Free blogs, videos
- Touch Display Research to present at Quantum Dot Forum 2016
- How to find your dream job
- New report: ITO-replacement transparent conductor market to reach $13 billion by 2023 but not all companies are growing
- Touch Display Research to keynote at 2016 eDC (electronic Display Conference) Dr. Colegrove’s keynote is sponsored by Data Modul
- Active pen 2016 report is published
- Quantum dot 2016 report is published
- E Ink and Polyera bendable watch
- Quantum Material Corporation joint venture in China
- Huawei active pen at CES 2016
- Touch and Emerging Display monthly report Jan 2016
- New Report: Touchless Human-Machine-Interaction (HMI) Sensor Market Gaining Momentum
- Touch Display Research to speak at Vehicle Display Conference. Dr. Colegrove’s speech is sponsored by FlexEnable
- Our Mission at Touch Display Research
About Touch Display Research Inc.
Touch Display Research, Inc. (www.TouchDisplayResearch.com) is an independent technology market research and consulting firm specializing in touch screen and emerging display technologies such as OLED displays, OLED lighting, flexible displays, e-paper displays, ITO-replacement, Active pen, 3D displays, near-eye displays, pocket projectors, quantum dots, gesture controls, voice controls, and eye controls. Touch Display Research provides standard reports, consulting projects, and due diligence for touch suppliers, display manufacturers, consumer electronics ODMs/OEMs, material suppliers, investor companies, venture capitalists, and companies who are merging or acquiring companies in the touch screen, display, and materials industry. We are member of FlexTech Alliance and SID.