October 6, 2015
Touchless Human-Machine-Interaction sensors include voice recognition, gesture control, eye tracking, proximity touch, motion sensors, short-range wireless interaction and others.
This market is gaining momentum:
- Microsoft Windows 10 OS added two touchless HMI features: voice control and facial recognition.
- Apple recently acquired two touchless HMI companies.
- Facebook joined the touchless HMI wagon in 2014 by acquiring Oculus. In 2015, Facebook/Oculus acquired another two touchless HMI companies.
- Augmented reality and virtual reality devices “love” touchless HMI sensors, since they rely on touchless HMI sensors for sensory inputs to function smoothly, and deliver the cool imagery and features.
- Google announced radar-based gesture control project Soli in 2015.
Over 200 touchless sensor suppliers, system integrators, and brand companies working on touchless HMI sensors. Camera-based gesture technology attracted 58 companies working on it; 49 companies are active on motion sensor fusion; 30 companies are active on voice recognition.
Figure 1. Touchless HMI Sensor Technologies and Companies
Source: Touch Display Research, Touchless HMI Sensor Market 2015 Report, October 2015
Thanks for reading,
Jennifer and team